12 Epic wedding gifts that aren't platters and throws!
The world has shifted and couples getting entwined into wedlock already have a house jam-packed full of all the basics. So today's wedding gifting is no longer about setting up the happy couple for a shared household together, it's about helping them to create a beautiful life together.
And yes, this does mean your thoughtfully purchased platter/wineglasses/chopping boards/coffee cups/throws are no longer at the top of wedding wish lists for brides and grooms.
The trend away from purchasing household items has seen the emergence of gift registries and wishing wells, which come with their own level of admin challenges. The time spent trawling through items to create a guest registry, the clumsiness of giving guests bank account details and them tracking the irregular funds suddenly appearing in bank accounts, or asking guests to pop to ATMs en route to the celebration to bring an envelop full of cash and ensuring there is somewhere safe to collect it at the reception (and having someone responsible on the day to take it home!).
We reckon that all adds up to a time consuming, admin heavy, and many levels of awkward way for people to celebrate newly wedded bliss.
At Joyable, we thought there had to be a better way, and there is!!!!
Joyable.co is a fast, safe, easy and secure payment gateway that enables you, your family and friends to collaborate by contributing money towards buying just one gift for the happy couple.
If you're getting married, you can set up your own Joyable occasion page - with RSVP integration so your exciting nuptial celebrations can be added to calendars - and share your unique URL with family and friends. Or your guests can team up to purchase something meaningful, memorable, and that lasts.
Our friends Ryan and Peter (above) have decided to celebrate their love and February wedding with a honeymoon in Europe. They've used Joyable to share their bucket list of dream experiences and have invited their guests to help their dream come true.
Among the list is "Haggis in Scotland, beers in Berlin, cruising in Croatia and passion in Paris". It will be the first time Ryan meets Peter's family in Scotland so they're starting married life with memories to last a lifetime.
12 amazing wedding gift ideas to fire up the imagination!
Now that platters and throws are off the wedding list, it can be a head-scratcher thinking of an epic gift. Don't worry, if Ryan and Peter's honeymoon ideas didn't help, here's 20 more guaranteed to kick start a happy marriage!
1. Money towards accommodation and the ultimate holiday. Airbnb gift cards can be used for accommodation and experiences but are only open to the US currently. But there is loads the newlyweds can do with Joyable funds towards accommodation and they can book through any site they like from Trivago, Bookings.com, Bookabach, a travel agent or their favourite last minute bookings site - literally anywhere!
2. Money for flights, or even an Air New Zealand Mystery Break vouchers. While couples used to ask for money towards a specific travel company, if they get money directly into their honeymoon or holiday account, the world is their oyster!
3. A year of date night dinners. You can club together with friends to use Joyable to create a fund pool for 12 dinners out over 12 months. How's that for creating an exciting future of shared memories?
4. We've partnered with Città Design so you can use Joyable for your wedding. This eliminates the need for guests to buy individual vouchers and then the newly married couple having to cash them in. Instead, all your contributions will come into the one account and the amazing team at Città will help you coordinate the rest. Send us an email to [email protected] to discover how this will work for you!
5. How about booking the newlyweds a 5-star hotel for a night or two following the wedding? Not every couple takes a honeymoon immediately after the wedding, but a luxurious hotel stay while the guests are still in town could be the perfect gift!
6. Hire a photographer or videographer or book a photobooth for the wedding. The bride and groom (or bride and bride, or groom and groom) may have something booked but it doesn't hurt to ask. Some couples hire someone for the official pics but not anyone to capture all the fun at the party afterwards. It could be the perfect gift to chip in to and create incredible LOLs for years to come!
7. A stunning crystal decanter and glasses. We think it's a big "No!" to boxes of daily use glassware, but what about that heirloom gift that gets handed down generations?
8. A glamping trip anywhere in New Zealand is perfect to celebrate summer after the wedding fun is done. Airbnb has fab Yurt stays like this one in Motueka, or you can purchase Canopy Camping Escapes Gift Vouchers here, a Glamping Hub Gift Card, or just collect funds and let the newlyweds have the fun of choosing themselves. Easy!
9. Hire them a private chef at home. How amazing would it be to celebrate the wedding or a one-month, six-month or one year anniversary with a private in-home chef? Joyable is a perfect way to get everyone to contribute fund to book the dream experience. There are loads to choose from, but here are a couple we found Free Range Chef, TakeAChef gift vouchers, Anise Private Chef Gift Vouchers, Auckland Private Chef, and Nick Honeyman from Parris Butter.
10. Give an epic artwork or neon sign! How amazing to give or receive an artwork that adorns walls or gardens for an entire married life? Not only can it be a beautiful celebration of a couple's love (and great taste) but they can spread the joy searching for the amazing artwork. We're partial to a stand out neon sign and are obsessed with Dunedin's Glowjob. Is there anything they can't do?
11. A helicopter ride. This could be arrange from the wedding or for a special day after the wedding. Who wouldn't want that? So many options, but here are a couple Heletranz with the option to go to Waiheke and and savour a delicious lunch at Tantalus Winery if the couple live in Auckland, Helicopter Me, and Inflite Experiences based at gorgeous spots throughout New Zealand.
12. Gift a year of activities. As the saying goes, "the couple that ziplines together stays together"... and whether you're the couple or the gifter, you could use Joyable to buy literally ANY adventure or activitiy. From surf lessons, rock climbing, pottery classes, dance lessons, hip hop classes, snowboarding and skiing annual passes and of course, ziplining adventures. The only limit here is your imagination!
We're chuffed that Joyable is your pathway to purchasing epic gifts that create a lifetime of happy memories whether you're getting married or you know someone who is!
Find out more about Joyable and create an occasion page here.